Distance Day

Today was an interesting day.

I was so excited about getting out and hitting it… I got almost everything ready last night… all laid out so it was all ready this morning.  I considered woosing out when I got up but I really wanted to do this so got my butt in gear.

I waited till it was starting to get daylight because I’m dumb but not stupid.  The sun wasn’t the whole way up, but it was daylight enough that I could see what was coming at me and what all was in the surroundings.  I got a couple really pretty shots of sunrise (there is something to be said for the squirrel not liking the smallish light weight camera that we got her… I get to use it when I run and it doesn’t weigh me down too much).


I made it to the big road at just the time that the first hot air balloon headed off.  I got a couple killer pictures of the balloon taking off and floating over the road…. made the bend at the convenience store (after my first drink of water) just as the next balloon team was getting the basket set up for their take off.  Got to see the burner lit as they tested it.  I slowed down to take my pictures, but didn’t opt to sit and watch the team get ready.  Maybe I should have, ordinarily I would have, but I didn’t.  I needed to do the route for some kind of timing.

Balloon over the morningBut it was okay, it was SO worth the day.

The creek where the dog likes to play in the nice cold water was a dry rocky creek bed.  Sad.  It has been such a dry summer and even the rain from night before last didn’t make any difference… but it was interesting to see the flood pole next to a creek that wasn’t even there…

Onward and upward.  Got a couple more pics of the first balloon as I passed the soccer field.

Noticed (duh) that there were an awful lot of cars passing me at 7:20 in the morning even in the park, even on such a beautiful morning (only 72 degrees!!!!).  Figured out in a bit what was going on.  The local fitness training company has a recurring outing in the park every Saturday. I looked up the site when I got home… There was a really nice lady that told me I should join!  Yeah… might actually be nice to join such a group, but not for $100 for 24 weeks… thanks but no thanks…

balloon over runners

It got me thinking (since I was out on my own with no one to talk to and nothing but music in my head and nothing but feet and street) that I don’t know if I would really want to rely on a group (much as I might really enjoy the fellowship of other people like me) for my success.  The reason I took up this kind of exercise is so I don’t have to rely on anyone else’s schedule… any one else for my success or failure.    It would probably be good to have someone to talk to who has been there… who is going through the same stupidity that I am going through, but if I have to pay someone to talk to me (and that person doesn’t have a degree in psychology….) I don’t think it is probably really worth it.

Passing a runner (yeah, she was running, I was only maintaining a fast walk) who waved as she passed made me think that I probably just need to keep up the solitary training… It may not be as safe as running (or walking) in a pack, but as long as I’m careful and keep my cell phone at the ready… it will probably be my best option…

Made the bend at the park, got a picture of the people from the group running across the bridge… balloon in the background… you guessed it, more pictures.

Another drink.

I really love my squat little stainless water bottle.  It fits perfectly in my fanny pack and has just about the right amount of water for a 2 hour outing.

Out of the park and onto the beautiful wide new sidewalk.

Waved at the passing police car (they usually don’t let on they see you, so this one waving was really nice).

passed one couple almost at the point where the sidewalk ends.

took out onto the newly dug up roadbed, so I didn’t have to do the last several hundred yards to the light… it would have been better for my pace to stay on the road…

Tree Nearing the End of my outing

6.75 miles, 1 hour 45 min (including cool down and stretching)

cool bath (SUCKS to not have water come out of the faucet COLD but rather tepid.. ), 2 eggs, a piece of toast and salsa…

Now, an hour and a half later, I’m sitting here thinking about my outing.  I feel wonderful right now.  It was SO worth going out this morning.  I wasn’t overly sweaty (although I did smell like a goat when I got home) during my run.  I’m not terribly sore right now… I love the change in my normal routine..  I’m thinking that this might be a  to do list thing for tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.